A step-by-step tutorial to show you How to make a Felt Rainbow Garland
Welcome to this easy rainbow garland sewing tutorial. These instructions will help you create a special piece of colourful decor, to be treasured for years to come. Ideal to make yourself and give as gifts to family and friends or give to someone who loves to sew their own. Beautiful to hang in a gender neutral baby's nursery or bedroom to add a splash of colour and personality.
You will need:
- Felt in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and purple
- Threads in orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and purple
- Sewing needle
- Large sewing needle, with a wide eye (wide enough to fit the twine or ribbon)
- PDF print out of pattern pieces or SVG file
- Cricut Maker or alternative felt cutting machine (optional)
How to make a Felt Rainbow
Begin by cutting the shapes in the relevant colours of felt. Each rainbow is then sewn separately, and all are threaded onto the twine at the end, so you can stitch each one at leisure.
1. Pin the yellow shape on top of the orange shape, ensuring to line up the ends. stitch using a simple running stitch in yellow thread.
2. Pin the green shape on top of the yellow shape, lining up the ends. Stitch together in green thread.
3. Pin the blue shape on top of the green shape, lining up the ends. Stitch together in blue thread.
4. Pin the indigo shape on top of the blue shape, lining up the ends. Stitch together in dark blue thread.
5. Pin the whole shape on top of the red shape, lining up the ends. Stitch the orange part onto the red shape, using the orange thread.
6. Pin the purple shape on top of the dark blue shape, stitch through all layers in purple thread. Trim and tidy any ends that don’t quite line up.
7. One rainbow complete! Repeat the steps to complete 5 rainbows.
How to make a rainbow garland
8. Thread the large-eyed needle with the grey twine. Carefully thread the 5 rainbows onto the twine between the layers of orange and yellow stitching.
Loop and tie the ends to hang the garland from hooks, or simply washi-tape to the wall to inject a splash of colour into the room.
Your rainbow garland is complete!
I hope you've enjoyed learning how to sew your own rainbows, don't forget you can download the pattern or purchase the full kit for this rainbow garland below.
We love to see what you've been up to, share your felt creations on social media using #FeltTails
Pin this for later ⬇