How to make a Phases of the Moon garland from felt
Welcome to this super easy Phases of the Moon garland tutorial. The following instructions will help you create a special piece of cute decor to be treasured for years to come. Hang in your baby’s nursery or kids playroom for a super cute and modern home update.
You will need:
Yellow and grey felt and matching threads
1 metre ribbon or twine
PDF print out of the pattern or SVG cut file of the pattern
Cricut Maker or alternative felt cutting machine (optional)
1. Begin by cutting the shapes in the relevant colours of felt.
2. Stitch the 2 yellow full moon shapes together, using a simple running stitch and following the edges of the felt. Leave a small gap and insert the stuffing, before closing the gap.
3. Now stitch each of the yellow crescent moon shapes onto one each of the grey circles, using the same running stitch.
4. Now stitch each of these onto another grey shape. Leave a small gap again and insert the stuffing, before closing the gap.
5. Thread the ribbon or twine onto the extra large needle. Carefully wiggle the needle through the centre of each moon, arranging them by following the image of the finished garland as a guide.
6. If using ribbon, finish by cutting on a slant to avoid fraying. Now fold over the ends to form a hanging loop. Secure using a stitch, and a button to decorate.
Your moon garland is complete!
I hope you've enjoyed learning how to sew your own phases of the moon, don't forget you can download the pattern or purchase the full kit for this nursery garland below.
We love to see what you've been up to, share your felt creations on social media using #FeltTails
Pin this for later ⬇